Wednesday 14 July 2010

Intro into Sivananda and Kundalini Yoga

Most weeks I like to go along to an organised Yoga class at the local leisure centre. Believing this class to be more dynamic I was surprised that the discipline was more in line with basic Sivananda practice. Sivananda Yoga practice simplifies its teachings on 5 basic principles. These principles show the way to developing physical and mental health as well as spiritual growth. These principles are: Proper Exercise (Asanas); Proper Breathing (Pranayama); Proper Relaxation (Savasana); Proper Diet (Vegetarian) and Positive Thinking (Vedanta) and Meditation (Dhyana). Sivananda Yoga appeals when there is a need for restoration and relaxation.

For variation on days when I need to boost flagging spirits I enjoy the stimulating and energetic practice of Kundalini Yoga. It frees the flow of energy through the body and prepares you positively for the day ahead. Using simple yogic techniques that include breath (Pranayama), yoga postures (Asanas), sound, chanting (Mantra) and meditation. Kundalini Yoga strengthens the nervous system and balances the glandular system for increased stability and vitality. Meditation improves mental concentration and sharpens awareness.

2 comments:

  1. While I enjoy yoga I find practicing on my own a poor substitute for a group lesson. I would like to attend a Kundalini Yoga group. I have over 5 years ago attended such a group and while others reported the flow of energy as in your blog; I did not. Can you recommend such group in the Southeastern UK?

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this website link ...

    http://kyta.createsend3.com/T/ViewEmail/r/15FD5A06EE5E3329/1342A3BAB6D66FB76A4D01E12DB8921D

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete